ARISTLE Think LAB (Critical Thinking Programme)
Our Critical Thinking Programme
(Different levels available for children from 9 to 15 years old)
“Critical thinking is the intellectually disciplined process of actively and skillfully conceptualizing, applying, analyzing, synthesizing, and/or evaluating information gathered from, or generated by, observation, experience, reflection, reasoning, or communication, as a guide to belief and action.”
– National Council for Excellence in Critical Thinking
Our Critical Thinking Programme is designed to nurture our students to become critical thinkers. Critical thinking refers to the ability to think logically and rationally in a fair-minded way. It includes the ability to engage in independent and reflective thinking when gathering, digesting and acting upon information.
Our Critical Thinking Programme aims at developing our students’ critical thinking skills so that they would be able to
- identify, formulate and evaluate arguments in a fair-minded way
- recognise and understand connections between ideas logically
- detect common mistakes and inconsistencies in reasoning
- solve problems logically and systematically
- evaluate and reflect on own beliefs and values
Class Topic: Minimum Wage
In this class, students dug into the issue of minimum wage law, analysed its effectiveness and discussed about the views and reactions of different parties involved. Being critical thinkers, it is always our practice to look into the different sides of an issue before reaching any conclusion!
Class Topic: Facebook
In this class, students discussed about why Facebook has won its competitors and become the most popular social network in the world, its impacts to our society (e.g. its viral marketing effect) and some of the criticisms against it. Facebook is more than just a social network and is influencing millions of population around the world!
Why is Critical Thinking Important?
- It is useful across domains. Critical thinking is not limited to a particular domain or subject area. No matter you work in finance, education, IT, marketing or management, critical thinking skills are always needed and are crucial. Being able to think logically and solve problems systematically is a valuable asset for almost all careers.
- It is important in today’s world that is full of information. Technologically advances have facilitated the sharing of information globally. Every day, we are overwhelmed by wide sources of information and opinions, some are true but some might be not. Thus, it is crucial that we educate our children how to analyze, evaluate, filter and integrate information and knowledge in a logical and fair-minded way.
- It enhances communication and presentation skills. Critical thinking helps us organize our thoughts in clearer and more systematic manners. This does not only improve our communication skills, but also our comprehension and presentation skills.
- It encourages self-reflection. Critical thinking provides the mechanism for self-reflection. Constant evaluation and reflection on our own beliefs and values are crucial. It is with self-reflection that we identify our personal goals and motivations that would in turns guide our decisions in life.